Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Blessedness

I just realized that Blessedness or happiness according to these verses is rooted in heaven and in God Himself... these are the next red-letter words in my Bible.

"Blessed are the ....... for ........." Matt5:3-12

RG: Lord I want to live a blessed life what does it mean to have a blessed life?

The Lord Jesus seemingly saying: Go ahead list down the last portion of the verse and you will find out what is a blessed life.

RG: Ok Lord here are the list:
1. Theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
2. They are comforted.
3. They are heirs of the earth.
4. They are filled
5. They are shown mercy
6. They see God
7. They are called sons/daughter of God.
8. Their reward in heaven is great.
Lord what a contrast on what we believe blessedness are. I thought blessedness are:
1. Having money to meet our needs now and in the future.
2. Having a decent house with enough space for the things we want to do.
3. Having car to take us where we want to go.
4. Having a family that are loving.
5. Having a wife/husband who love us and our children.
6. Having good health
7. Having a source of income/work which is easy and less stressful.
8. Having community/church/group who meet our spiritual and social needs.

The Lord Jesus seemingly saying: Yes RG unless you redefine what a blessed life means, then you will find life on earth miserable at least in one area of your life if not all.

RG: Lord it seems to me that a blessed life is a life which is rooted and focussed on heaven and in the future rather than here on earth and now. This is what made it difficult for us to understand or made it it less attractive to many, because people just want the "NOW".

The Lord Jesus seemingly saying: RG if you move one step forward on what you said "heaven and future" you will end up right in front of ME. That is exactly where the blessedness is. I love you RG and I want you to be always in front of me, right here in my presence.

RG: Oh Lord, I just want to be where you are..

The Lord seemingly saying: Yes RG, I already broke the barrier between me and you when I lay down my life on the cross, now you can be as close to me as you want it to be but I want to tell you that it will cost you something.

RG: Yes Lord I observed that its in the first part of these verses.

The Lord seemingly saying: Go ahead list it down

RG: Ok Lord I hope I will not discover something that I am not willing to pay. Anyway here they are:
1. Be poor in the spirit
2. Mourn (for your condition and others)
3. Be meek
4. Hunger and Thirst for righteousness
5. Be Merciful
6. Be pure in heart
7. Be a peace maker
8. Be willing to be persecuted and insulted
Lord, these has little things to do with what should I do but rather these are more of a descriptive of what should my heart be.

The Lord Jesus seemingly saying: You are right RG, but it will cost you your pride, it will cost you your comfort, it will cost your treasured sinful habits, it will cost you time and money to be really merciful, it will cost to walk extra miles, it will cost you your honor... it will cost you your life. Are you willing to pay the cost of a blessed life?

RG: (mummed and in deep, long silence...) Lord have mercy I need your grace to say yes!

Go and Make Disciples of all Nations

Understanding Islam