Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Man does not live on bread alone

The next red letter in my Bible is
"It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"(Mat. 4:4)
Jesus said this to Satan when He was tempted after spending 40 days of prayer and fasting.

Ronnie: Lord, I think there are many things to learn here... this could be your strongest teaching on how to face temptation, because you demonstrated it rather than just teaching. I know you can just kick Satan out right there in there, but You allowed him to trick You. So, I know its not for your sake that you allow it to happen but for us who observe You face the temptation.
Lord Satan knew your weakest point at that time, after 40 days without food ordinary man like me will naturally look for food and will do anything just to have it. But when Satan reminded you that you can turn the stone into bread (which I know You could), It's just amazing that you did not grab and buy his suggestion.

Lord Jesus: Yeah I learned it from the Scriptures that man shall not live just in physical realm but also in spiritual realm. By the way I was fully man when I face that temptation to satisfy my physical needs. So I was not different as you today.

You are right that Satan will tempt us on our weakest part. And one of the weak-spots of man is the flesh. Our physical body need a lot of things, food, water, comfort and pleasure. Satan will tell you that this is the only important things in order to live and I'm sad that many believe this lie.

Ronnie: Lord you know, I think many times I also believe it. I may not be saying it but I knew there were instances in my life that I think comfort and pleasure is everything... It is shown on what I think and what I relentlessly pursue. Often times I became insensitive to you during those days..

Lord Jesus: You are right, when you pursue comfort and pleasure you will be an easy prey of Satan. Closely connected to pursuit of comfort and pleasure is the pursuit of money, because money can facilitate comfort and pleasure...you can buy anything that you think can give you comfort and pleasure easily with money. If you think big house can give you comfort you can easily have it if you have money. Travels, good dress, cars, etc..etc.. you can have it if you have money. Pleasures can also be bought with money. Sex, drugs, parties...everything that you think is pleasurable can be possible if you have money. So its very easy to love money... I have more to say about money later..

Ronnie: So what's the right thing to do Lord?

Lord Jesus: Man does not live on bread alone - You tell yourself that you are not living on physical needs alone... you do not live on food, water, comfort and pleasure alone. So stop pursuing it as if its everything! be willing to give it up if necessary, at times you even have to abstain and die to self gratification. Don't be sad, because the Father knows that you need them and trust Him for your physical needs... I have many things to tell about the Father's concern for your physical needs later.

Ronnie: Oh Lord I know I read it before but I am so excited to reach that part where you teach about the Father who is very much concern of our physical needs... hehehehe.

Lord Jesus: Yeah that's why you don't live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. If this will be part of your system you will be victorious when Satan temp your flesh. Tell him in his face "Yeah my body longs for it, but I do not live on bread alone but on every word that my Father told me."

Ronnie: Oh Lord Jesus what shall I say... You are wonderful... I love you and I thank you...


Go and Make Disciples of all Nations

Understanding Islam